Sunday, March 4, 2012

Hope in the Hard Chapters

Recently I heard someone talk about hard chapters--parts of the story that were difficult or things he'd rewrite...or omit. He also reminded us that God is writing a story with our lives, one that was planned with Hope and for His Glory.

There are hard chapters in my story, events and things I cannot change. In 2003 when we were going through our first homestudy process to become foster/adoptive parents we were required to discuss openly and honestly examine those hard chapters. Our worker was wonderful and supported us through the process. I struggled at times and I saw it incredibly unfair to have to talk about things with our social worker when the years of fertility treatments and loss, my past, or motives for wanting to become a parent were never discussed.

I didn't understand before our first foster son, the practical reasons for discussing my hard chapters. I didn't see how events so long ago shaped my responses. Those first few weeks siting in a chair next to our foster son's bed, hearing him struggle with both night terrors and cries of utter agony from the depths of his grief. His confused and hurting little three year old heart just broken...his hard chapters. I was there to walk or sit beside him and offer hope as he began to heal. This experience would help me as there were many others that God would lead to our home that were also in the middle of hard chapters.

Through the years our family has gone through some hard chapters. It can be incredibly painful to walk with my children as they struggled for answers that I cannot give about some of their hard chapters. There are times that hard chapters have to be discussed openly and honestly examined. The hope and grace that I have been given through Christ is what sustains as we walk with our kiddos through hard chapters.  I am incredibly grateful for our social worker and agencies that have supported us through our current homestudy and international process.

Not everyone can understand or extend grace and hope to those of us with hard chapters. Maybe that's why Jesus came and lived some hard chapters too.

Thank you God, for not abandoning us and for giving us grace and hope in our hard chapters.

1 comment: